Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Home Improvements...Yard Addition

We have wanted to redo our backyard ever since we've moved in to this house (we've wanted to redo our front yard also, but I'm not thinking that's coming anytime soon). About 1/3 of the grass was taken up with a strip of rocks that was completely unusable and with the kids getting older and needing more play space...we wanted them gone. So when Jonathan had a few days off in a row, we got right to work. The entire process was pretty funny...actually, hilarious for us to think back on. Our different ways of doing things came out clear from the beginning. I just like to get going, no real plan in mind except the plan to figure things out as we go. Jonathan is MUCH more methodical and draws out a step by step plan to make sure everything is in order before we even start. I'm much too impatient and just want it done FAST and figure it will be good enough. Luckily I have a WISE husband who likes things done right. In the end it was very clear that his "way" was the right "way"...as it usually is. It turned out to be a HUGE project and had we known, we would have hired someone to do it for us.


We removed the rocks (easy part), then had to rototill the extremely HARD ground. This was like the WORST job ever, I felt so bad for Jonathan out there trying to manhandle that terrible machine-although we both laughed hysterically. This was by far what took the longest!!


Austin was a real trooper and worked right along side his dad with his own "tiller". He was VERY happy to assist!



We were so glad to have our friends Jose and Jesus help us finish with the rototilling and hauling the new dirt to get ready to lay the sod. They came equipped with wheelbarrow rides and all! The kids thought it was great!



In the end we were glad we did it! We still want to plant trees along the fence...but we'll save that for another day!!

1 comment:

russandkatie said...

I've never seen the finished product, it looks good!