Alright, I'm going to try and tell this story, I wish that I could just tell everyone in person because it really is quite the story and very long. I'm adding all of the details so that we won't forget...although how could we?? The summary is at the bottom if you don't have the time to read through it all...or if you just don't want to you can just read the bottom and get the idea :).
First of all our garage is small (our house is small too...I'll write a post about that later), we can barely fit both cars in it together. But somehow we do. When we do however, there is NO room to get out the passenger door, which makes getting sleeping kids in and out a little difficult. This year I feel full well what mom's mean when they say, "All I do all day is run kids to and from everything!". I feel the same. SOOOOO while Jonathan is at work and I'm making constant trips I park right in the middle of the garage to make it easier. When I make my last trip for the day I squeeze the van as far over to one side of the garage as possible to make room for him to park his car. Well, on Thursdays Ally has piano (which she loves by the way...I'll write a post about that later too) and last Thursday I was planning on taking her so I had parked in the middle of the garage when I got home from getting her at school. Anyway, after we were home, 2 of the 4 kiddos weren't feeling so well so I called and cancelled piano and we stayed put. When Jonathan got home and opened the garage and saw that there wasn't any room, he parked his car in the driveway...not a big deal-it occasionally happens. We went to bed.
The next morning was going to be an early one. Ally had been nominated for "Student of the Month" at her school (also another post I'll do later) and there was an assembly to honor her that I was taking all the kids to. After the assembly I had to take Isaac to school and then go visiting teaching (visit other women in our church). So as I'm getting all the kids ready and feeding them breakfast and feeling quite proud that we were even going to be a little early, Jonathan kissed us all and went out the front door to go to work. As quick as he walked out, he walked back in. "Honey, did you pull my car in the garage?". I knew that I absolutely hadn't but we checked the garage anyway. When it clearly WAS NOT there, all I could do was laugh. Our car had been stolen!! I couldn't believe that someone just took our car...I mean really...just took our car. I couldn't stop laughing but tried really hard because it was very apparent that my other half was not as amused. I guess I just thought that stealing was kind-of "out", like something people did in the "80's" or something. And then all I could think of was how disappointed the thief's would be once they started up our 1995 Honda Civic and realized that it wasn't even in as good of condition as it appeared (which wasn't that good anyway). We called the police to file a report and started thinking about everything that was in the car.
There really wasn't much in there, Jonathan's lab coat and badges, golf clubs in the trunk, a stethoscope and Ally's car seat...good luck with all of that! It was funny to think of them looking through everything and being sorely disappointed. We joked that once they got in they would try to ditch it as quick as possible. By this time Jonathan caught on to the humor and we both were laughing pretty hard.
The ironic thing was that the night before I was preparing the lesson I was going to give when I went visiting teaching. I chose to do it on the talk that Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin gave in this last conference titled, "Come What May, and Love It". I thought of a specific quote he said, "The next time you're tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable". And so I shared that with Jonathan, and we laughed again. I then told Jonathan that I had actually thought as we were going to bed the night before, "I think his car is going to get stolen, maybe then we can get a new one!". His laughter ended and he was so mad at me for thinking that and wondered why I wouldn't have said anything (not really, I don't think he's ever been REALLY mad at anything). I just never REALLY thought it was going to happen, I have weird thoughts like that ALL day long that never happen. It made me laugh even more as I could tell he wanted so bad to blame me...but he obviously couldn't and laughed again.
Back to the story...right.
So I loaded up the kids in the van and the phone rang. It was a young girl calling on her cell phone who was on her way to school and found one of our dogs roaming around and called the number on the tag. So in the madness, Benson apparently had escaped. The only problem was that the girl didn't know the name of the street she was on, only that it was by the school and there were 2 big palm trees she was standing by (UMMMM....we live in Arizona, pretty much palm trees EVERYWHERE!). Normally I would send Jonathan, but he had to stay and talk to the police while I took the kids and roamed the neighborhood in the van (worrying the whole time that Ally was going to be late on her special day). I drove up one street and down the other and saw the girl standing on the corner, almost right in front of our house holding our dog. I yelled and Jonathan to get the dog and was off to the school. We made it just in time!
After I ran all the errands for the day and all the kids were at home, I all of the sudden thought, "THE GARAGE DOOR OPENER!!!". I was totally freaked and wanted to cry at the thought that someone could so easily get into our house. I can tell you...I wasn't laughing. I decided to check the caller ID to see if by chance the police had called with any information while I was gone. I was so thrilled to see that they in fact did...they didn't leave a message, but did call. I called immediately back and left a message with them to call me asap. I hurried and paged Jonathan to see if anyone had called his cell phone. At the time he was with patients so couldn't check...not a good enough excuse if you ask me :). Finally he checked his messages and the police had found our car...not even one street away...the very street I had driven down that morning to find our dog!!! I probably drove right by it without even noticing!! Apparently one of our neighbors came home from work at 2 in the afternoon to find a strange car sitting in his driveway. He called the police and since they couldn't get a hold of us they had the car towed. By the time all of this had been put together and we were in contact with the police, the tow yard was closed. So we had to go to bed that night still now knowing the condition of our car or what had been taken. My main concern was the garage door opener...as you can imagine. We unplugged the garage door, locked up the house and probably woke up throughout the night about 20 times each at EVERY little sound. I was very glad to wake up the next morning.
Jonathan had to work (Saturday...yeah the life of a resident is not the greatest!) but luckily he was able to leave for a little while to try and get the car before the tow yard closed. So, we loaded everyone up and drove to a not so lovely part of town. I was very scared for our well being when we got to the 'yard'...and I'm still not convinced that the people working there weren't the ones who stole it in the first place. Especially seeing as how the manager had the EXACT same car that we did...hummmmm. We paid the $86 to get our car back (I still can't believe we had to pay!) and Jonathan went to claim his prize, the kids and I waited in the van in the front. It was taking a while and the next thing I see is some fork lift bringing our car out with Dr. Manwaring riding on the side-it was very funny at the time. The car wouldn't start, meanwhile about 6 "choppers" were staring us down and I wanted to get out of there as quick as possible-although I did shoot them a few mean glares back their way-just in case they were the guilty ones. The car was missing it's 2 mirrors (or ears as Ally calls them), the face plate to the stereo (but didn't take the stereo), a speaker cover, the bra on the front, Jonathan's "doctor" bag (that really didn't have anything too valuable in it) and come to find out the "computer" that makes the car actually run had been ripped out. Very strange that the golf clubs, stereo and passports/social security cards were untouched. And best of all....the garage door opener was just where it should be.
We had to find a "computer" as soon as possible so that the car would actually run. So we were sent on a wild goose chase to find the part and ended up in South Phoenix in a place that was described as the "Las Vegas of auto body shops". I guess I had a different idea of what this was going to be like, but when we got there it literally felt like another country...I think a better description would be like the "Tijuana of auto body shops"-it was horrible, yucky and scary. We had been in the car for about 3 hours by this time and I still can't believe how nice our kids were-I think they were also in a little shock. The worse part was that they kept having to go to the bathroom and I was NOT about to let them go in ANY of the places we were at, so the day entailed a lot of "holding it" until we could get to a nice gas station or something. We got the part...only $65 plus they had the 2 mirrors we needed at $40 a piece. So on back to the tow yard we went. The manager came out and helped Jonathan install the computer and in the process let quite a few expletives fly-why does it not seem as bad when a mechanic swears??. It wasn't too long and the car started right up. Without hesitation the guy offered a good, old, sincere "fist bump" and Jonathan went right along with it. At that point I had to turn my head because I was visibly laughing and if I would have made eye contact with Jonathan, it would have been very uncomfortable. I was just releived that the whole thing didn't end in a chest bump. So home we went. And now here it sits, about $300 later, almost just as before...except now braless and no stereo face plate. I guess this makes me glad that we don't have "nice" cars however, I would like to now convince him to get rid of the thing!
And I'm also happy to report that we are having an alarm installed in our house tomorrow :)! It will be a good night!
SUMMARY
Car stolen from driveway. Car located just one street over. Car towed. Car missing mirrors, stereo face plate, speaker cover, bra and "computer". Found parts, fixed car. Fist bump. Car safe and sound (but still braless). Home alarm to be installed tomorrow.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
WOW! that is quite the story. so glad nothing too valuable was stolen. and i can't believe that you had to pay to get your car back after it was stolen. what a bizarre thing!
it just goes to show that when bad things happen to positive people the only one not laughing is the thief! I love how positive you were about it and I love that talk by Elder Wirthlin! What a great story, thanks for sharing!
p.s. we have an alarm on our house and it's the only thing that makes me feel safe when Russ works late!
OK, very sad. That said, I have to tell you I was laughing so hard I cried. Still sad, though.
AAh! Good for you for laughing. It does seem a little suspicious that only parts to the car were missing, someone was looking for very specific items, ya know? I am glad it turned out ok.
Somehow I too think stealing things should be an "out" kind of thing. I mean seriously- who does that kind of thing? Good for you for getting an alarm. I wouldn't have been able to sleep at all that night. Thank heavens the golf clubs were safe!
Gee, that whole story is just too crazy! How scary, funny, sad and most of all happy you must be that it's all over. I enjoyed reading the whole post and laughed through most of it. I could totally picture the whole thing happening.
YIKES!! So glad everything turned out okay. You feel kind of violated though, eh? Jerks. But I love how you laughed it all off. Thank goodness you are all safe and sound!
I'm so impressed with your reactions--I'm sure that if my car was stolen, I probably wouldn't laugh first thing!! But I'm glad everything worked out--and that you found your dog! What a relief!
Wow! Rachel- you are quite the writer! I hate to say that your rough experience was so fun to read. It really should be in a magazine- Reader's Digest or something. I'm glad things turned out alright! BTW- 7 more months of fellowship!
That was an amazing story! Don't you love it. We squeeze our cars in also! Rick is from LA so we never are aloud to even leave the garage door open for more the five minutes!
I am laughing too! What a story! What an experience! You're lucky though. My mom had a car stolen a few years back and it was recovered a year later and they junk yard wanted $1500 to get it back! LOL By then my mom had a new car and was like "keep it"!
All I have to say is that you are one amazing person. I think anyone else would have had a completely opposite reaction to finding out their car had been stolen. I love that the two of you just sat had a good laugh about it. The best part of all is that your kids were probably watching - what a great example of how to handle a stressful situation!
bummer, comical, and slightly true "stealing is so from the
80's!" we got our house broken into and cam's car stolen our third year of residency by the neighbor boy...a family in our ward around the corner asked why we were parking our car in thier neighborhood lol! little punks...cami
Post a Comment