Friday, November 14, 2008

We Voted!!


We voted!! It has been quite the election season...it seems like for months it occupied our thoughts and words-whew are we glad it's over. And although the person we voted for may not have won, we are excited for the next 4 years!

Ally got to go with both Jonathan and I to vote which was pretty exciting for her. We had fun teaching her about the process and the importance of voting. She was very anxious to find out when she will be able to vote herself...only 12 years :). For a long time Ally was the only one in our family who knew who she wanted to win. Both Jonathan and I were raised in predominately "conservative" homes but really found ourselves wondering who we wanted to vote for. We followed Mitt Romney forever in the primaries and when he lost, so were we. There were a lot of things we liked about both of the candidates. Ally was not confused whatsoever. If you would ask her who she was voting for her response was always, "I'm voting for John McCain because he's Republican and that is Mitt Romney's team, and I want Mitt Romney's team to win!" It was always so cute and she was %100 convinced. The boys would always answer, "Obama"-I think they mostly just liked saying his name. Jonathan took her with him to go and vote first. After they got back it was my turn to take her with me. I should say that she took me with her because right as we got there she showed me right where to go. She greeted all the little old ladies working and took me to my booth-it was all I could do not to laugh out loud, she thought she was "hot stuff". As I was quietly filling out my ballot, looking over all of the items to vote on, Ally said, "Mom, all you have to do is mark the ones with the 'R' on them because that means 'Republican'". I shhhhed her and thought to myself how proud her Manwaring grandparents and Meigs great-grandparents would be! I was proud that when she woke up in the morning and found out that her candidate didn't win, she was still excited to have a bran new President and to have been a part of it!

....I forgot to add that when Jonathan took her, she really thought that John McCain and Barak Obama would be there...kind of funny!

4 comments:

russandkatie said...

that is such a cute story!!!

Jake and Megan said...

How funny she already a little Repulbican!

Brett & Sue said...

It is good to see that the next, next generation is being taught love for their country and to be interested in the election progress. Our country needs more concerned parents. So proud of you all.

becky ward said...

you guys are so AWESOME! i love that you each took her to vote. and how adorable that she was so involved in the whole process. way to go!