Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Who says a 2 year old can't???

Well, I guess he's not quite 2-but close enough.

There are sometimes when being a parent makes you beyond proud. Sometimes they are the big accomplishments, but most of the time they are the small and simple everyday lessons learned.

Tonight I had all the kids in saying prayers in Ally's room. Right after prayers we always read a story and when Jonathan is on call (like he is tonight) we all read a story together rather than individually to help save time and get kids in bed asap. Sometimes Austin sits really good and listens, other times right after we say "amen" he is out of there with something else to do in mind. Well tonight right when we were settled down ready to read he came with his little suitcase filled with toys. He couldn't get it opened so he asked me to do it. I told him that he had to pick up his other toys first. Of course he was NOT happy with this answer and proceeded to whine and "fake" cry as he asked both of his siblings to do it. They obviously didn't and I just kept telling him that he had to pick up all his other toys first-I never in a million years really thought he would understand this concept. So we started reading and he went in the other room. By the time our story was over he came running into me with the biggest, most proud smile, holding the container with all his toys in it (which was probably like 30 little pieces) that he had picked up all by himself. I was completely proud from the tip of my head to my toes-I really thought I would bawl. Silly, I know, but I couldn't help it-HE GOT IT!! There is just nothing like when you teach and preach all day and then all the sudden-they really get it!! It makes every single time that they don't so, so worth it! Sometimes I think we don't give these sweet little kids the chance to show us how much they really do understand and how much they really can do! They may not get it the 1st time or the 2nd time, or even the 20th time-but you know what-one day they will get it. I'm so glad for the constant lessons of patience and learning not to give up on continually teaching them. I LOVE being a mom more than I could ever express. Everyday I am so grateful for these 3 precious babies and can't believe I really get to have another!!

8 comments:

marian said...

Amen Rachel! You inspire me and I love keeping up with you via your blog. This is Marian from Sandpoint, by the way:)

Brittney said...

I was thinking amen to all those things but the last comment beat me to it. I totally understand. I am so pleased that Boston now pats me and points at what he wants instead of yelling or whinning I could just cry, but no one else seems to think it is all that neat. The every day stuff is my favorite

becky ward said...

you sum it up so wonderfully! what a proud mommy moment captured.

ps i love your nicknames for the idol boys. (;

emily, etc, etc said...

You are a sweet mom! That is really pretty amazing for such a little guy. I am pretty sure my kids are hearing impared (or at least act like they are). Actually Adam surprises me sometimes...being a mom is a lot of fun.

Jake and Megan said...

That is so true! You are such a great mom! My mom was so impressed with you and your family.

Leslie and Dave said...

You are such a great mom. Your kids are so lucky to have such a wonderful teacher!

Elena said...

So sweet, I don't think my kids have caught on to that concept yet. Maybe I need to bring them to you for a while! :)

russandkatie said...

what a sweet story, I love it!!!