Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"Your smile is broken"


When Ally lost her first tooth Isaac kept saying, "Ally, your smile is broken". We all thought it was so cute! Well, now it's going to be Isaac's turn to have a "broken" smile. When we first took Isaac to the dentist when he turned three years old, we found out that he had an extra "mid-line" tooth. At the time there was nothing we could do about it except wait for it to descend enough have it removed by an oral surgeon. The dentist said it would most likely have to take place sometime around his 5th birthday. I have DREADED it since that very day!! This summer we noticed that his 2 front teeth started to gap a little..then it was a lot and we knew it was the tooth pushing down and causing a gap. We made an appointment with the oral surgeon and he said we still needed to wait since he was so young. Well, the mid-line tooth is now visible and the time is here to get it removed. Isaac had another appointment, which also happened to be on the same day that he had to get his shots, and the surgeon said "it's time". I really HATE the thought of it and dread it beyond belief, but I'm also anxious to get it over and done with. Next Tuesday is the day. At his last appointment the surgeon was so impressed that Isaac would just sit there so bravely (and believe me, he was BRAVE), he was so impressed that he thinks he can do the whole surgery with out putting him completely under. It makes me cringe to think of it, but then I think I cringe even more thinking about him "going under" anesthesia. If there is any kid that can do it, I KNOW it's Isaac!! This is a picture of him holding his new special dinosaur the day of his last appointment and shots...I can't wait to get him the other one he just couldn't decide between! And I can't wait to hold him ALL day long after his surgery and dote on his every need and want!! What a SPECIAL, SPECIAL boy he is!!

8 comments:

Brett & Sue said...

Dear Isaac, We have been wondering about your "broken smile." We know you will be fine, and it will be over so quick. We will be thinking about you next Tuesday. Much love from Scotland...

Elena said...

Hey, Carter has an extra front tooth too! Must be a Manwaring thing. ;) We call it his shark tooth cause it's extra sharp looking. Carter's grew in with his other two, so we don't need to pull it. We're just waiting for it too fall out on its own. But there is a 70% chance that he'll have a permanent one, then we'll have to go the route of pulling/surgery. Not fun, so we feel for little Isaac. Good luck!! What a brave boy and MOM!

Sarah M Eden said...

I was almost seven when I had my first six teeth pulled out. I was an expert by the time I had #14 pulled. The oral surgeon let me keep the teeth! I had those for years - I thought it was so cool. And they made great show and tell during the "teeth" section in science class because they all had their roots still attached.
Mostly I remember eating a lot of jello and applesauce ('cause I was missing a lot of teeth.) He's a brave kid.

Diana said...

Poor guy! Let me know if you need anything!!! Like driving on Wed? He won't be going to preschool, will he?

We hope he heals quickly!

Jess said...

Isaac will do great! At least we know he will be just as cute with a broken smile as he is now.

JandK Manwaring Family said...

Good job being so brave, Isaac! We can't wait to see the cool dinosaurs!

emily, etc, etc said...

Oh that is so scary! I would be nervous too. I am sure it will turn out to be fine. Good luck...

russandkatie said...

Knowing Isaac he will just say "mom drop me off at the curb, I'll call you when the surgery's over" he is a stud and oh so brave!!!